Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#RPGaDay 9-13


Continuing with my #RPGaDay entries, for days 9-16.

9th - Favorite Die / Dice Set

For me it would have to be my smiley face die.

Picked it up at an con years ago, and its great for making fun things happen in a game. I typically use it in an AFMBE scenario I run where the players are in an apartment building full of zombies during a blizzard. When they go down to explore the basement, I'll roll the die in front of everyone.

Happy face: Nothing happens.
Medium face: The lights flicker.
Sad face: Darkness. Do you hear something moving on the next room?

10th - Favorite tie-in Novel / Game Fiction

This is a tough one. I love Salvatore's Drizz't books and was reading them before they were popular. (Thats the closet to an RPG hipster I can be.)

However, I'll have to go with the Pool of Radiance novel. I remember devouring this book in only a day when I got it. I had briefly played the computer game before so I knew the general plot of the game, but the novel did an amazing job bringing it to life. I had read other novelizations at that point, and none did as good a job as this one did. I still bring it out every once in a while to read through.

Understand, that this isn't a masterpiece of a novel, however. You won't find in-depth character development or masterful plot twists. Its a fun read, plain and simple.

11th - Weirdest RPG Owned

I would have to say Don't Rest Your Head. I know I've brought this up before, but its just one whose premise is so weird and out there. For those who don't know, it is essentially that you have not slept in such a long time that you have awakened to the real world. If you sleep, you'll lose the ability to see everything and quite possibly die.

12th - Old RPG you still play / read

Well, I still play Call of Cthulhu, but the oldest one I still read is probably 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. The DMs guide is something I still pull out to leaf through, and it still has lots of source material for me to use.
 
13th - Most Memorable Character Death

When you play Call of Cthulhu, which is my main game, you typically die horribly and often. Here are some of the ones I remember:
  • Summoned Azathoth and destroyed the world. (I'll expand on in another day.)
  • Being chased by a Dark Young through the woods. Ended up at a cliff and jumped to my death, instead of facing the charging beast.
  • Having an avatar of Ithaqua pick my character up thousands of feet into the air and fall to a squishy death.



No comments:

Post a Comment